Watching “It’s a Wonderful Life”, or your family’s favorite Christmas movie, is an annual ritual for many. These special season traditions leave us with warm feelings for family, friends here or far away, and even total strangers.
As we run around town feverishly buying extension cords for our lights, picking up last minute presents, and nailing down our families’ holiday plans, what are we doing to make a meaningful difference to those less fortunate living here?
You can make a real difference to children who leave school Friday afternoons not knowing if they will have a meal before returning to school Monday morning. Victoria County United Way partners with the Food Bank of the Golden Crescent in providing weekend lunch packs to these children. Your gift to the United Way in this special season will help ensure this program continues.
And are you aware of the many teenagers at-risk of dropping out of school? There’s unanimous agreement that dropping out of school severely limits one’s life options, causing negative consequences on families, neighborhoods and entire communities.
Here again the Victoria County United Way partners with a very worthwhile organization, Communities in Schools, which provides mentoring, tutoring and special assistance to help keep teenagers in school to immeasurably improve their opportunities for a brighter future.
Yet another vital way our community’s children learn about choices they can make is through enriching and educational after-school activities at the Boys & Girls Club of Victoria, another of the outstanding local partners of the Victoria County United Way.
These are just three of the 19 programs your contribution supports. Whether you are self-employed, retired, working or not, your gift makes a real difference to children, teenagers, adults in desperate situations and senior citizens in need of meals. Our community’s quality of life is improved immeasurably by improving the health and well-being of people in need.
Renew that feeling of warmth with your caring and compassionate gift this special season. It will strengthen those working to improve their lives, while at the same time help make our community safer and stronger. You can make a meaningful difference now by calling VCUW (361) 578-3561 or going on our website: unitedwayvictoria.org. Have a joyous and peaceful season!
Contribute to VCUW to help these agencies
Improving People’s Health
- Billy T. Cattan Recovery Outreach- Alcoholism and substance abuse
- Golden Crescent CASA - court appointed advocates for children
- Hope of South Texas -child victims of sexual abuse
- Mid Coast Family Services - Homeless Prevention & Sexual Assault Crisis
- STARS (South Texas Assessment & Referral Services) - High risk Developmental follow-Up
- Community Action Committee of Victoria - Home Delivered Meals outside city limits
Helping Families Become Stable and Independent
- American Red Cross - Emergency Services
- Gulf Bend Center - Services for At-Risk Youth
- Food Bank of the Golden Crescent – Kids’ Back Pack Program
- Golden Crescent Habitat for Humanity – Building affordable homes
- Perpetual Help Home - Supportive Housing and Center for Peace
- Victoria Christian Assistance Ministry - basic necessities of food, rent, utilities
- Victoria County Senior Citizens Centers - day activities, meals, health services
Helping Individuals Achieve Their Potential
- Boys and Girls Club of Victoria -Afterschool & Summer Day Camp
- Boys and Girls Club of DeWitt County -"Be Great at Math" Program
- Communities in Schools of the Golden Crescent - Dropout Prevention
- Victoria Adult Literacy Council - Adult & Family Literacy
- YMCA - Childcare & Summer Camp